Sunday, September 24, 2006

F1 According to the Neophyte

Disclaimer: When I say, neophyte, I mean it. I just started following F1 this season. In order to learn the background, I watched DVD summaries of the 2003-2005 seasons. Slowly, but surely, I'm learning all the personalities/egos, rules, what the engineers do, and the nuances of all the tracks/venues.

To state the obvious, this season has been about Alonso, Schumi, and Kimi.

For me all season, in addition to learning and enjoying the races, I have been trying to decide whom to root for. This is actually a two-part question because I have to choose not only a team, but a driver as well. This has been a nearly impossible task and the result surprised me.

Renault: Alonso is a fabulously talented young driver who has, for the most part, driven consistently well, lap after lap. His Renault engine's meltdown at Monza was an aberration, but the timing could not have been worse. He seems like a nice guy and may have been a little too honest and open about his feelings about Schumi, but he lacks personality. Maybe something got lost in translation. I also don't feel right rooting for the reigning world champion for fear of being accused of being a Johnny-come-lately or a fair-weather fan.

I don't know enough about Fisichella to form an opinion.

Ferrari: Schumi, without question, is the best driver out there. But with the Monaco fiasco and his prior history of winning at all costs, I can't support this guy. I think Ferrari is akin to the New York Yankees. With its famed history, pennants, and Fort Knox sized payroll, you either love them or hate them. I don't hate them. But I don't love them either.

I feel bad for Massa. He has to play the supporting role, much like his predecessor, the amiable Rubens Barrichello. They will forever be the Scotty Pippens to Schumi as Michael Jordan.

McLaren: Though I am not on the official bandwagon, I have been rooting for Kimi for almost the entire season. Had he not had that temperamental McLaren to deal with, he would firmly be in 3rd place right now. With him going to Ferrari, I am at a loss again. I understand his reason for going to the "Dark Side". He joined Ferrari for the same reasons Giambi, A-Rod, et al joined the Yankees. But with him donning Ferrari red next season, I have to look elsewhere for someone to root.

Juan Pablo Montoya is a royal jackass. His actions on and off the track are classless. I think the idea of a Formula 1 driver, a la Ali G in Talladega Nights, schooling Nascar Bubbas is fantastic. But having JPM be the representative could not have been worse thought out. Rather than earning the respect of Nascar fans, JPM will just alienate them and confirm their dislike and suspicions about F1. If he shows poorly in the first few seasons, F1 will never have a chance of gaining a foothold in the States for at least another decade.

Robert Kubica. This new kid on the block has what it takes to be a future world champion. Although I am saddened that he had to take the place of Villeneuve, he has reinvigorated his BMW Sauber team. He seems genuine, honest, realistic, hard working, and sincere. His third place finish at Monza was more than respectable. And I can see him on the podium consistently for many years to come. I don't think it was a fluke. So if I had to choose one driver to root for, it would be Kubica.


As for this season, I want Alonso to win, but I think Schumi will steal it from him in Suzuka.

CKY

No comments: