Saturday, December 13, 2008

2008 Hawaii Quarter

Yes, I am 8 years old. I admit it. I have been collecting the 50 state quarters. Not only that. For each state quarter, I have a Denver mint version and a Philadelphia mint version. It gets worse. Every time I find one, I put it in my commemorative collector's book.


So today, I got a Hawaii D (D is for Denver) quarter. It's pretty exciting. You've got a portrait of King Kamehameha, like the statues in Honolulu and Kohala. You've got the state motto, which in English means "The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness." And finally, you've got a pretty good representation of the islands.

The main ones are all there, and even the little ones, like Kahoolawe and Niihau. Even to the naked eye, the topography is spot on. Maui's Haleakala can be seen, and felt. On the Big Island, Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, and even smaller Kohala can be seen in relief.

I'm not going to go out and say that the Hawaii quarter is the best, but it's definitely up there.

CKY

No comments: