Saturday, February 06, 2010

5 Cylinder Acura Vigor Is the Porsche Cayman of Hondas

I've been struggling since last night trying to describe the Acura Vigor and put it in perspective. I started with comparing it to Goldilocks. It's not as big as the six cylinder Legend and it's not as small as the four cylinder Integra. But it isn't just right. I finally came to the Porsche analogy when I spoke to my friend P this afternoon about Porsches.

P has a Boxster. He wants, as we all do, a 911. But like most of us, he can't. So I asked, why not get a Cayman? Well, no. Because it's barely faster than the Boxster and to put it bluntly, it's not a 911.

Which perfectly describes the mid-range Vigor. It's got leather and a sophisticated sound system. It even has an F1 inspired suspension. But it's not as impressive, in stature or horsepower, as Acura's Q-ship. Aside from the front angle, it looks like a moderately priced compact. And though it is a half a step above an Integra, most people would just spend a bit more and get an Integra sedan with all the bells and whistles.

1 comment:

F1 Outsider said...

I really enjoy these early 90's Honda Accords and Acuras. I somehow find them very attractive but don't know why exactly. The early 90's Accords especially stand out compared to most early 90's cars mainly because of the clear plastic headlight lenses in my view. It also says a lot about the quality of these cars with plastic headlights that are almost 20 years old and are still crystal clear, whereas my 04 Mazda's lenses I have to buff back to life every 3-4 months. Hot Florida sun doesn't help!