Saturday, April 10, 2010

Baltika No. 3 beer review

Shopping for shoes at GUM

Baltika No. 3 is supposedly the most popular of the Baltika range.

After the first few sips, I found it spicy, sharp, with a hint of nuttiness.  These are all positive qualities, but there's just something off about this beer.  Maybe it's a flavor I'm just not used to.  Like Baltika No. 2, it's like the brewmaster mopped up a floor's-worth of sweat from a locker room, wrung the mop into a beer bottle, and stored it in a musky warehouse for two years.

But as I drank the last drops, I began to get used to the flavor.  I think it's an acquired taste.  My odyssey has barely begun.  I still have to try Baltika Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.  Maybe I'll love it by the end.

I must say, the beer is quite potent.  And it's not because of its alcohol content (4.8%).  It's because a bottle has nearly 17 ounces (versus 12 for a regular American beer bottle) of beer.  Pow!

Please stay tuned for my review of Baltika No. 4.

No comments: