Monday, May 24, 2010

Johnnie Walker Red Label review taste test

I know nothing about whiskey and Scotch.  Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  I think I've had two kinds in my life.  Jack Daniels and Crown Royal.  That proves how little I know.  Which again, isn't a lot.

But I've always been fascinated with Johnnie Walker.  It might be because they're displayed at virtually every airport duty free shop I've been to.  Or it might be because it is used as currency in many third world countries to bribe mid- to high-level officials.  So what does it taste like?  Will a neophyte like me enjoy it?

I will start at the bottom-- the Red Label.  I will then slowly ascend to the pinnacle-- the Blue Label.


I got a 750ml bottle of Red today at BevMo for $18.  That seems reasonable, I think.

I will start by drinking it at room temperature, by itself.  As I tilt it in my glass, it looks slightly syrupy and leaves a thin film on the glass.  It has a yellowish, golden hue.  It smells sharp and a bit like rubbing alcohol.  It's not unlike cheap booze I've had in my younger days.  The smell changes in intensity every time I sniff it (I've sniffed it 4-5 times now).  I wonder why that is.  Now, it just smells like hospital.

Sip.  Wow, it's nowhere nearly as nasty as I thought it was going to be.  I can feel its punch and warmth about 5-10 seconds after swallowing it.  And as I finished typing the last sentence, the punch and warmth disappeared almost instantly.  The flavor was mild.

I did not enjoy the second sip.  I'm going to add ice and club soda now.  Be right back.

Yack.  The club soda made it bitter.  Now, my mouth tastes like Band-Aid.  Maybe I'll just add regular water next time.

Stay tuned as I try Black Label.  In the meantime, here is the history of the brand.

3 comments:

Alan said...

The thing is, scotch is an acquired taste. If you've only had it a handful of times, it's difficult to asses - akin to a freshly-licensed 16 year-old reviewing suspension effectiveness and steering response of a 911.

That said, I think you'll really enjoy black label. Blue Label is super-expensive and super-fine too. Chivas is a really nice, smooth and affordable beginner scotch.

Maxichamp said...

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'll take my time and get used to it before I go to Black Label.

John L said...

I've got a lot of bottles at the back of my wardrobe. Yes some of them are bribes. The rest are gifts from appreciative customers. Money might have been better.