Thursday, September 20, 2012

Guatemala to Panama by bus


With a truce in effect between the two largest gangs in El Salvador and peace talks with FARC in Colombia, this might be the window I have been waiting for to travel through Central America by bus.

I will pick up where I left off on my last trip, in Guatemala City.  I will do a quick trip to see the Mayan ruins of Tikal and leave Guatemala City on a Tica bus.  Here is the itinerary from Tica's website.  The trip one-way will cost $128, excluding hotels.

Guatemala to El Salvador: Leaves at 5:30 a.m., arrives in San Salvador at 10:30-11:30 a.m.  Stay overnight in hotel.

El Salvador to Nicaragua: Leaves at 5 a.m. and arrives in Managua at 5 p.m.  Stay overnight in hotel.

Nicaragua to Costa Rica: Leaves at 6 a.m. and arrives in San Jose at  4p.m.

Costa Rica to Panama: Leaves at 11 p.m. (same day) and arrives in Panama City at 4 p.m. the following day.

I wonder if long waits at border crossings are included.

Now, I have to research the Darien Gap in Panama...

Tica fares.

Photo source.

7 comments:

Alan said...

You travel in style, man. I hope to be half as adventurous as you someday. Must make for some great memories.

Ever think about writing a travelogue?

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: I want to write a book.

Alan said...

I would read it. I love travelogues.

Reading Pergerine Hodson's "Under a Sickle Moon" right now - he hoofs it through Afganistan.

I know I've asked, but forgot - did you ever get around to reading "Roads to Sata"?

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: I read it based on your recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. When is your trip?

Alan said...

It was supposed to be in early November, but we waited too long to purchase tickets and they jumped about 110% in price. We already have the vacation time scheduled so we're going to Chicago to visit my family instead.

I'm really bummed, but the upside is that we put a lot aside thinking we'd be in ultra-expensive Tokyo, so we're going to be staying at a very nice hotel downtown and have reservations at some excellent restaurants.

Hopefully tickets will again be on sale, so we can snap 'em up before they jump again.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Too bad. I know you have a place in Tokyo already but hotel rates will plummet. Tens of thousands of Chinese tourists are canceling their vacations to Japan.

Alan said...

Yeah, the radiation scare is good for cheap travel - hate to be so blunt but it's true.

I'll contact you about the trip before we start planning for more expert advice.