Thursday, November 07, 2013

23andme DNA kit


My kit came today!


Sorry about the blurry picture, above. I can't take another picture because I already mailed back the box. Basically, you spit into the funnel and fill the tube up to the black line. (You're not supposed to eat or drink anything for 30 minutes beforehand.) Then, you close the cap on the funnel. Inside that cap is some sort of clear fluid. By closing the cap, you puncture the container holding the clear fluid in the cap and it mixes with your saliva. (Does anyone know what that fluid could be?) Then, you twist off the funnel and twist on that blue cap. Finally, you mail the tube back to the lab and wait about a month.


2 comments:

Edvin said...

This is super cool stuff. I saw a BBC documentary on genome sequencing a while back. I'm still not quite sure if I'd want it done on me. AFAIK this company's method wasn't all that accurate, but then again it doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars like the more comprehensive ones. So even if you find something worrying, you can comfort yourself that it might not be accurate at all. :)

Maxichamp said...

@Edvin: $99 is relatively cheap, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The big reason I got it is because a close member of my family was adopted and there is a big chunk missing in my family tree. I'm hoping that I'd learn a little more about my heritage.