Thursday, December 31, 2015

Eating in Iowa

In less than a month, I'll be going to Iowa to volunteer for Bernie Sanders. I don't have a specific assignment yet. I could very well end up at the campaign headquarters in Des Moines. Or, I could be sent to a faraway, rural county, knocking on doors and dropping off lawn signs.

Aside from the importance of helping a campaign I believe in, this will also be fun. The American presidential campaign is entertaining to watch. It is also eye-opening to see life in a different part of the country. I know I learned a lot when I volunteered for Obama in Reno back in 2008. And to top it off, I'll get to eat unfamiliar food.

These two places will be on the top of my list. I've always wanted to try Maid Rite loose meat sandwiches.


And Iowa is famous for its pork. I had a juicy pork chop when I went to a family wedding in northwestern Iowa. The Ox Yoke Inn is famous for their pork entrees, and I'd like to stop by and cross off German food on my Eating the Globe to-do list.

No comments: