Tuesday, October 25, 2016

BMW i3 and Civic tires

The Land Cruiser search has not been a high priority. I'm leaning towards giving her the TSX wagon, leasing a BMW i3 for myself (to get the tax write-off as it will be mostly used for work), and keeping the Civic. Even with a budget of $30,000 for the Land Cruiser, I'm still ultimately getting a ten year old car that gets crappy mileage. That doesn't make much sense.

The 2017 BMW i3 is improved. The battery range goes from 81 miles to 114 miles. If I have to go to the South Bay to work, the round trip is 111.4 miles. I would get the range extender, a 2-cylinder motorcycle engine.


For now, I'm driving the Civic. The road noise is getting unbearable. I'm thinking of replacing the discount tires with something more substantial. I went on Tire Rack and these are the "premium" choices. It looks like the Michelin Defender is the way to go. My priorities are, in this order: noise, comfort, performance, tread life. I will never drive in snow or ice. Have you had any experience with these tires?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have defenders on the CX, and I haven't noticed any significant road noise.

There are significant diesel noises between me and the road, however.

@slirt said...

Hard to go wrong with Michelins; great snow tires on my A4 & now love the Pilot SS on the Z4.